Monday, July 30, 2012

Rocky Jackson aka Ralph G Jackson


Ralph G. Jackson aka Rocky
Rocky Jackson
 
My Interview with Ralph Rocky Jackson
by Traciy Curry-Reyes
first recorded in 2009


 I had the chance to speak with Rocky Jackson a few nights ago. Wow. I wasn’t sure I would ever know what happened to him once he left prison in 2002. He was in good spirits though. He showed no emotion…really, when I first spoke with him. He did not sound alarmed, or shocked. He acknowledged calmly that he was indeed the same Rocky. I found him a little cold in the beginning. Not rude at all, but frigid…reluctant to revisit that place in his mind that he so badly wants to forget. I began to speak with him about how life had treated him since he left Federal prison 7 years ago, and he let me know eagerly that he was now married (his wife is very pretty and blonde just like Dusty) with a small daughter, repeating over and over that “it was the past,” and that he has moved on. Rocky is considered a respectable person in the community, according to him. He is a homeowner; he has finished a business degree, owns his own business, and is an artist. It was really hard to get into the “other stuff” the “real stuff” that I wanted to know. How it happened? What was running through his mind at the time? What attracted him to Dusty? Yes, all of that, I wanted to know.

 I finally got him to go back a little bit and relay to me just how he met “Dusty” as he called her. Not being able to remember, he paused for a minute and answered with a quick “I think at a party. I really don’t remember.” I wanted to know if Kathy Charlene Brown was as sultry as the movie made her out to be. He said “well, yes she was pretty, but more than that she was charismatic.” It seemed that she just had this charm that made her very appealing. I could tell that just talking about Dusty put a bitter taste in his mouth. His voice would change, you know? Like, his voice would drop whenever we talked about Dusty.

 I could feel and sense a little bit of the resentment that he has toward her. He never said it, but it was evident, because after all, she was 4 or 5 years older than him. “When I was younger, I was susceptible,” Rocky said. He never would say to me anything about the roll she played in this whole thing. In fact he stated emphatically “No comment. I have always wanted to say that” he said. He did express a lot of regret over what happened. “Who I am now is not who I was 28 years ago. It is something that I live with everyday.” He has tried to block it out of his mind and move forward with life, but it is still there. The cloud of that fateful night still hovers over him…

Only having seen the movie once since his release, Jackson disagreed with much of what took place in the movie, although he was pleased with Cole Hauser as a choice to play him. He did not agree with Hauser’s portrayal of him as “some sort of a hick,” as he stated. Also, according to Rocky the movie was not based on court transcripts. (However, I found out today from the attorneys in the case that this movie was most definitely based on court transcripts) However, he stands firm that this was self defense. “On that day, Sept 3, 1982 it could have been me in Chris’ place. The knife was his knife. It came out of his hand. I am not justifying what happened. I live each day with regret that Chris died.”

Until this day, Ralph 'Rocky' Jackson claims self defense. The part in the movie where he sits and waits for Chris to come home so that he can kill him was not true at all, he claimed. He actually walked up to Chris and the confrontation ensued right there in front of Chris’ apartment according to Rocky. However, the evidence proves that Chris was stabbed about 27 times in his bedroom.

 In any event, his self defense theory did not hold up because he was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison. He was released in 2002. The news media there barely covered the trial at all. They were given statements for release by the military, but not much other than that. The military really down played the crime a lot so as not to bring a lot of media attention to the case. And that is what actually happened. It just sort of died there. And the Birmingham articles only happened after the movie came out.

A couple of tidbits that I didn't include in the first notes.
1. Rocky taught art while in prison.
2. He has friends in law enforcement
3. When asked if he ever talked to Dusty again or if he knows what ever happened to her his response was: "I don't care what happened to her."
4. When he first went to prison, he had a lot of self hatred.
5. He received a degree in business management
6. He owns his own home and business

You can read a gist of the prosecutions statements here.

Here are a few relevant comments from some people who knew Rocky before and after his conviction.

j.pennington said...

"I happen to know Ralph very well. I can speak for myself and everyone who knows him he is a very loving and giving person. He is a loving husband and amazing father. That being said I have much sympathy for the Brown family. Rocky lives with what happened everyday, he is not a heartless or evil man. He spent most of his life in prison and I know there are those who believe he should still be there, but for those who love and depend on him we're very grateful he has done his time and is out. Judge not or ye to shall be judged."
"I dated rocky when we were just teenagers and I can not believe this is the same Rocky I new. He was kind and gentle and very sweet. I am glad he is doing good I wish him all the luck in the world."
C. S.

41 comments:

Maria said...

You should be in jail for the rest of your life, the thought of you enjoying a life, when you took Chris's life makes me sick! I hope you rot in hell when you die, at least you and Dusty will be there together!

Unknown said...

God will judge you! May Chris rest in peace, I will always miss him!

Anonymous said...

You should be in jail how are you free. Is that top picture have you missing a tooth. Real piece of work.

M.M said...

He did his time. He was only 20 years old. The mind of a person who is barely over the age of "Teenage" is very complicated to understand... I'm sure he has re-lived that day a million times in his mind. Although I deeply sympathize with the Brown family for their loss of Chris, I also understand the impact an older woman can have on a young man. They both lost their lives even if Rocky is alive it's still a death sentence in his mind and heart. Remorse is extremely painful it can feel like slowly dying each day. May God have mercy on his soul.

Unknown said...

I watched the movie and I gotta say this...Why the hell are you FREE?? This just goes to show how the justice system works. You don't have any consideration for human life. It makes me sick to know that you're out there enjoying life, like nothing ever happened and giving a poor example, I may add, of what regret looks like. You don't regret anything, you regret the fact that you got CAUGHT. If you wouldn't have gotten caught I seriously doubt that you would have ever even thought about turning yourself in. God sees what we can't see in a person and you can't lie to him about who you really are. You will be judged! My only solice is that Chris is with God and nothing nor no one can ever take the peace and love he is receiving now away from him. RIP Chris!

Unknown said...

Why is he free???

Anonymous said...

Ralf Jackson you should still be in Federal Prison. How dare the system let you go in 2002?? You own a business?? Probably because no one in their right mind would hire a convicted murderer. What a piece of trailer trash. I hope you join your slutty girlfriend Dusty someday. Oh does your current wife and children know about your record? I am sure your children would like to know that their so called father is a convicted murderer. It just takes one more slip up for you to end up back in prison.

Tallesen said...

Why isn't this bastard in prison forever? Chris should be alive.

Unknown said...

I like to know how it was self defense when Chris Brown was stabbed 27 times when he had defensive wounds on him? Sounds like your not taking any responsibility for the murder laying all the blame on the victim as usual.I think Dusty(Kathy) was the mastermind behind Chris murder, I think she kept putting shit in Rocky's head and he believed it so he killed him,otherwise why would he kill Chris and yes she didn't stab him to death but she set Chris murder in motion.Im sure Rocky feels guilty for Chris murder,but he could've walked away and said no but he didn't.He's the one has to live with what he did and him alone and I saw the movie and I don't believe his story think it's total b.s.blaming the victim and he should be in Leavenworth for life no parole period instead on Facebook living his life!Dusty Brown I heard died a few years back and too bad she wasn't in prison for life but she kept getting trouble since then and Chris and Dusty daughter is just like Dusty getting trouble what a shame!

Unknown said...

Unbelievable he should hv rotted in prison. He took a life

HAYLEE EMENS said...

I absolutely agree with maria

cahliahamilton85@gmail.com said...

How he did Chris was so wrong it made me wanna cry watching that movie it's very touching.... but Rocky will have 2 answer 2 God

cahliahamilton85@gmail.com said...

How he did Chris was so wrong it made me wanna cry watching that movie it's very touching.... but Rocky will have 2 answer 2 God

Anonymous said...

Why are people talking about this brutal murderer..he should still be in prison he is scum hope he dies soon..he should have been executed..

Anonymous said...

Agreed ..why the hell didn't this scumbag get life???

Unknown said...

So unfair. Kill a person and get a degree that so many people never had a chance to. Have a wife and child that many people don't get a chance to. Own your own business that ......... So unfair.

Unknown said...

I agree totally. Why should he be enjoying life while Chris is in his grave.

Unknown said...

Agree. It's disgusying.

Unknown said...

Absolutely

Rocky said...

for all of you that were not there, don't judge me , lest ye be judged. and no I am not missing a tooth, it is a gap that I am proud of.

Unknown said...

It is not up to us here on earth to pass judgement. Only God Himself can do that. I believe that Mr. Jackson is very remorseful and if the Brown family had it in their hearts to forgive him, then who are you to hold a grudge?

Yeahok said...

To me that guy Rocky is a POS anybody talking about he's such a loving person is an idiot that's how evil people are and he claims the movie didn't portray it right and he didn't like that they portrayed him as a hick that should be the least of his concerns it shows you he's a narcissistic sociopath who would marry such a man and I use that term man lightly he's a coward

HAYLEE EMENS said...

Rest In Peace CHRIS BROWN

HAYLEE EMENS said...

REST IN PEACE CHRIS BROWN

HAYLEE EMENS said...

REST IN PEACE CHRIS BROWN

HAYLEE EMENS said...

REST IN PEACE CHRIS BROWN

HAYLEE EMENS said...

REST IN PEACE CHRIS BROWN

HAYLEE EMENS said...

REST IN PEACE CHRIS BROWN

Anonymous said...

You should be in jail .you took his life ! You took him away from his child and that tramp used you . You need to die in prison. You took a good man away from his family. God will handle you bastard!!!

Anonymous said...

He sinned by having an affair with a married woman who had a child and husband.
He sinned when he took the life of Chris Brown.
He sinned when he lied on the stand claiming self defence.
He deserves to spend the rest of his life in a 6x6 cell.
Chris’s cell is 6 x 2 and 6 feet under ground where there is no air and no life.
It is unjust that this man should enjoy fresh air, a wife, a home, children.
There was no justice for Chris Brown.
I hope his wife cheats on him and has someone do the same to him as he did to Chris Brown, only then will there be justice.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment. There is no justice for Chis when his murderer has freedom, a home, a wife, children, a federally paid education and success.

Anonymous said...

The only justice for Chris is if his murderer takes his own life.

Anonymous said...

I don’t believe him when he said that it was self defense. He’s a liar and murderer.

Anonymous said...

You really should serve your life in prison. You didn’t give Chris a chance in life when you stabbed him 27 times!!

Karenlorraine said...

I know this impacted Chris family big time. It was so sad for them. From what I can tell from the description Chris being a good Husband Dad & Son. But was Short Lived over those Moments of his Life!! Empty Arms leaving that Heart Empty!! But can't change that past. & Having Anger in the Hearts is like throwing Fumes on the Fire that continues to Grow!! Altercations can go Wrong Especially if Infidelity Money & Jealousy being involved! I'm sure Chris would had been so Proud Of His Dad & Mom May they both RIP! I'm sure they are looking down from Heaven over Christine's Wellbeing! & With Rocky making a Choice in Life he may Live to Regret. But @ the time he was Full of Rage not thinking with a Clear Conscience by being Blinded by Lies & Deceit! If there is Regret Only God Decides the Future for what comes afterwards Within Each & Everyday Of his Life!
.

Anonymous said...

I agree

Anonymous said...

He deserves what he did like dusty did

Anonymous said...

Wow you took a life n ur free..it must be nice to be free have business and raise a child while Chris R Brown could never do that n she is left without her father

Anonymous said...

He should have got life he looks like a jerk no remose shame on him for taking Chris lif me over a low life female.

Anonymous said...

I don't know but he paid for his mistake some female can get men to do anything

Anonymous said...

U shouldn’t never come out.Never .U are monster with Dusty.